Friday, February 05, 2016

{from sketch to pattern}



I thought it would be fun today to take you through my process of sketch to pattern! I've started making patterns again this week after a few months off, and I had forgotten how fun and addicting it is! 

{I learned how to create digital patterns by taking Jessica Swift's Pattern Camp course, which I can't say enough good things about!}

I drew those friendly lightbulbs up there a few weeks ago and knew right away they would make a great pattern. First I scanned them at a high resolution (300dpi or higher) and opened the image up in Photoshop. I removed the background and corrected the color balance so the black is super dark, and then saved each "motif" as a separate file. 


Then I opened up a new Illustrator file, placed my motifs, and recolored them. The recoloring is probably my favorite part of the entire process, other than seeing the pattern magically work at the end. 



Then I arranged them into a pattern...



And the finished product!


Man those little lightbulbs make me giddy.  I want them on a tote bag or a pillow. Or a journal! 

I also created this camping pattern which I can picture on children's bedding or a sleeping bag. 


If you are interested in learning more about making digital patterns, seriously check out Jessica's course. I learned SO much and use everything I learned not only for this purpose but in lots of other design work.

Hope you have a fantastic weekend!

XO,
signature

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...